Malverne Teen Book and Movie Comparison Club
Each month we’ll read a book, watch the movie together
and then talk about the differences over snacks!
Like every club, this one has rules but just a few.
Join this Paper & Popcorn’s reminder text group, text this message @paperpop to (516) 874-3823 to join.
Book Pick Up Spot is at the Youth Services desk in the blue basket.
- You need to check out a book on YOUR library card.
- Each book has a bookmark inside with the date of the next meeting.
- If there are no more books left, please fill out a slip and leave it for Jody, she’ll get you one.
- Please sign the clipboard so we know you have a book.
- If you want to join our club, feel free. Please take a list of rules from the folder, a book and leave us a note! All teens are welcomed!!
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.
Saturday, October 26 at 2pm
Everyone liked the book.
While we were watching the movie we noticed some differences. R was more like M in the book, he was the unemployed one. R didn’t get married or “have” kids. Someone brought up that this book/movie was like Romeo and Juliet, the characters names are R and Julie.
We all liked the movie too. There were funny parts, we watched the bloopers after too. We discussed if zombies could be cured.
Saturday, November 23 at 2pm
Everyone liked this book! The movie was goo too but WOW, it went slow!!
During the movie, we notice some differences:
The story takes place in France but they have British accents.
In the book, Isabelle picks locks but in the movie Hugo does.
The automaton is kept at Hugo’s home in the movie but at the museum in the book.
Isabelle’s movie theatre friend, Entienne, isn’t in the movie. This changes how they meet the author later on in the movie.
Saturday, January 25 at 2 pm
Only one member showed up but we still watched the movie. Some of the acting made us laugh and we both thought Pony’s new hair looked horrible and would make he stick out more to the cops. But we thought it was pretty close to the movie.
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Some complaints about this movie…
Why is Annabeth’s hair brown, it’s suppose she’s suppose to be blonde!! Percy and Annabeth both look older then they are suppose to be. One lotus flower and they are acting all drunk. We thought the casino looked different from what we read in the book.
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Saturday, March 22 at 2 pm
We thought this movie was much better then The Lightning Thief! But it did seemed like they added events from the other books to this movie. Also little fact a different actor played Chiron this time, Anthony Head from Buffy: The Vampire Slayer TV show.
Annabeth’s hair is the right color. Rainbow the hippocampus is beautiful. The bull at the beginning was sick!! This whole movie had some funny lines.
Doesn’t Percy have to go home and be with his mom and Gabe?
The prophecy said when Percy turns 20, it’s suppose to be 16!!!! The prophecy is in the last book, The Last Olympian, not The Sea of Monsters.
This is the prophecy:
A half-blood of the eldest gods
Shall reach sixteen against all odds
And see the world in endless sleep
The hero’s soul, cursed blade shall reap
A single choice shall end his days
Olympus to preserve or raze
Saturday, April 19 at 2 pm
WOW!! What an amazing book and movie!
There were some differences between the book and the movie but of course they couldn’t put every detail into the movie or it would be way too long!
- The Mayor’s wife talks and invites Liesel into her library.
- Max doesn’t come up and sleep up the fire when its cold, he always stays in the basement.
- Max doesn’t write Liesel The Standover Man or The Word Shaker. He paints over his copy of Mein Kampf and tells Liesel to write her story.
- Han has his name taken for trying to help a storekeeper no a man in the the “parade”.
- During an air raid, Liesel tells everyone a story, she doesn’t read from a book.
- Rudy dies in front of Liesel.
There were a lot more (you should see my notes!) but you should definitely take the time to read and then watch this story.
Saturday, May 24 at 2 pm